These truffles are my FAVOURITE little treat to have stocked in the fridge. They are amazing because: (a) they can be made without a blender, (b) they only take about 20 minutes, and (c) they knock the SOCKS off of you with their intense chocolaty hit! They only require 5 dry ingredients (+ a little water), all of which store really well in the cupboard and can be broken out to make a fresh batch in case of Chocolate Emergency. They’re great if you need something quick to bring to a party, or simply to keep in the fridge for whenever you need a pick-me-up!
Unlike most healthy treat recipes, they don’t rely on dates for their sweetness or texture, so are good for anyone who doesn’t tolerate dates too well. I used maple syrup here, but you could also sub this for another sweetener such as honey or coconut sugar dissolved in a little warm water (this changes the texture a little).
They usually need to be rolled in something, otherwise they are a little sticky to pick up. My go-to is coconut flakes, so you could simply do this and save yourself buying extra ingredients for rolling. Or else you can get creative with whatever nuts and seeds you have around the kitchen! Here, I’ve used finely-chopped roasted hazelnuts and extra cacao powder as well as the coconut flakes.
These have saved me from reaching for sugar-and-additive-laden sweet treats on numerous occasions! Although they still contain some natural sweetener and caffeine (because of the cacao), they are much healthier than your average store-bought chocolatey treat, so you can enjoy that burst of energy and chocolate fix from natural, unprocessed ingredients! Yes! Winning.
*This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free & grain-free*
Raw Cacao-Almond Truffles
MAKES: approx. 15 small truffles | PREP TIME: 20 mins
1 1/4 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
3 tablespoons maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
3-4 tablespoons water
a pinch of sea salt (optional)
1/3 cup of dessicated coconut (for rolling)
*optional extras for rolling*
3 tablespoons of finely chopped, roasted hazelnuts
3 tablespoons of cacao
- Spread some desiccated coconut evenly over a large plate. (Best to do this while your hands are still clean!)
- Add the ground almonds, cacao powder, sweetener and coconut oil to a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add in the water, and mix ingredients around until they form a thick paste.
- Now the fun part: pinch about a dessertspoon of mixture into your hands and roll into a ball shape (If the mixture feels too thick to roll into balls with your hand, at a little extra water. If you’ve added too much water, just add a little extra ground almonds to even it out).
- Roll the ball around the coconut-covered plate until it is evenly covered in desiccated coconut. Set finished ball aside on a different plate.
- Repeat until you run out of mixture. Pop the plate full of chocolaty awesomeness in the fridge for about an hour to firm up (if you can resist).
*Tip: once you have the basic recipe down, you can get creative by rolling the balls in other delicious things, like ground almonds, chopped roasted hazelnuts, cacao powder, or just leave them plain with a pinch of sea salt!